Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE][RFC] New cipher strength ratings for ssl-enum-ciphers

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 09:39:44 -0700

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 11:25:37AM -0500, Daniel Miller wrote:
On 07/16/2012 02:30 PM, Patrik Karlsson wrote:

Have you looked at SSL Labs SSL Server Rating Guide?
https://www.ssllabs.com/downloads/SSL_Server_Rating_Guide_2009.pdf

//Patrik
--
Patrik Karlsson
http://www.cqure.net

I looked at this guide; it's a great source of information. It made
me realize that a lot more goes into TLS security than just the
cipher suite choice: Server certificate key length, DH prime
choices, and protocol (SSLv3, TLSv1.0, etc) are all inputs that
Qualys uses that we don't. Fortunately, there was enough information
there to make a fairly accurate approximation of the A through F
score. To do this, I wrote a simple Perl script
(https://gist.github.com/3130353) and did a quick sanity check on
the results. New patch (not reversed this time!) is attached.

Also in this patch I added caching of the ssl-ciphers rankings, so
now the file will only need to be read once per scan, instead of
every time the script runs.

This looks fine to me, except for the change from weak/strong to A–F. If
we're going to do that, let's discuss it and do ti as a separate patch.
It needs new @output too.

Please regenerate it with your Perl script; assign anything "A" to
"strong" and everything else "weak". I'm curious to know if anything we
had previously classified as "strong" is weak according to the SSL
ratings.

David Fifield