Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] HUGE ssl-enum-ciphers speed improvement

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 17:27:40 -0500

On 07/12/2012 05:09 PM, Matt Selsky wrote:
On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 5:37 PM, Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com> wrote:

I've found a way to vastly improve the speed and efficiency of the
ssl-enum-ciphers by letting the server choose ciphers instead of trying
every single one. First, the numbers, based on a scan of nmap.org, port 443.
Before: 858 Client Hello messages, 9.56s NSE time. After: 24 Client Hello
messages, 3.07s NSE time.
I get the similar times with and without the patch.  Though with the
patch, the script now detects that the server supports compression.

Unpatched: Completed NSE at 18:07, 1.81s elapsed
Patched: Completed NSE at 18:07, 1.77s elapsed

Cheers,
Matt

Matt,

I'm surprised at this. Can you tell me anything else about your environment or the server (how many ciphers supported, for instance) that might explain it? Unlike the original version, mine slows in proportion to the number of ciphers supported. Here's some example runs against a set of Internet hosts (gmail.com facebook.com nmap.org github.com firstnational.com en.wikipedia.org):

Unpatched: 6 IP addresses (6 hosts up) scanned in 93.40 seconds
Patched: 6 IP addresses (6 hosts up) scanned in 18.47 seconds

Dan