Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap/libnetutil: route tables rework

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 18:39:50 -0700

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 10:13:52AM -0700, David Fifield wrote:
On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 01:06:59AM -0700, David Fifield wrote:
Thank you so much, Djalal, for doing this work. I extensively refactored
and rebased this patch set, to the reduced attached patches. I refer to
your patches from
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2012/q3/4
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2012/q3/115

I agree with out that sysroutes_dnet_find_interfaces is still kind of a
bogus idea, matching routes to interfaces by addresses only because
libdnet was formerly not able to give us an interface for each route.
This method will continue to be used on all platforms for which libdnet
has not been extended to return interfaces, which in this patch set is
all but Linux. I don't think it will be hard to add further support for
the other most common platforms.

This revised patch set gets interface names on Windows.

And here is one more that adds support for OS X.

What this means that for Linux, Windows, and OS X, the interface
pertaining to each route is read directly from the routing table, and
sysroutes_dnet_find_interfaces is a no-op. On any platform for which we
haven't added support for reading the interface from the routing table,
sysroutes_dnet_find_interfaces will work as before, and likely fail only
in unusual circumstances like we have been seeing lately.

David Fifield