Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [patch] Modify prototype for PortList::nextPort and get_port

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 17:45:30 -0500

On 06/14/2012 12:18 PM, David Fifield wrote:
On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 11:56:32AM -0500, Daniel Miller wrote:
On 06/13/2012 06:04 PM, David Fifield wrote:
On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 04:03:36PM -0500, Daniel Miller wrote:
The downside I ran into was that this prevents
modifying Port objects with any heap-allocated structures without
implementing a copy constructor,
Can you elaborate on how the assignment was causing problems? The
assigment is designed to be a shallow copy; a copy constructor that
recursively made new copies of e.g. the service detection table would be
wrong.
The problem was that if a copy constructor is not explicitly
declared, a naive one is created that simply does a shallow copy.
The Port::scriptResults member variable is a ScriptResults type, a
typedef'd std::list<ScriptResult>. This works just fine for the
current situation, but since my patch involves dynamically allocated
data structures as part of the ScriptResult class, I changed the
ScriptResults typedef to std::list<ScriptResult *>.
std::list::push_back() (as used in e.g. PortList::addScriptResult())
makes a copy of whatever is being pushed onto the list. Because my
version of the ScriptResult class involves dynamic memory, I started
passing around pointers instead of implementing copy constructors.
Whatever new dynamically allocated data structures you use, treat them
the same way as the existing dynamically allocated structures. Don't
deallocate memory in a destructor. See the freeService member and the
commit that introduced it:

svn log -r 16311 https://svn.nmap.org/nmap-exp/david/nmap-mem@16417
svn diff -c 16311 https://svn.nmap.org/nmap-exp/david/nmap-mem@16417

A shallow copy (i.e., the memcpy that the compiler will generate) is
what we want here. A Port is not a standalone object; rather it is a
kind of reference into PortList::port_list; individual Port object
should not have an existence (like their own destructor) apart from
their PortList. This is also why you have to use PortList::createPort
instead of just doing "new Port()". It is complicated and confusing,
only justified by the huge memory savings it gives.

Unfortunately, it wasn't that easy: In the case of a port in the
"default state" (e.g. filtered because of no-response for TCP),
there wasn't a real Port object to point to. The solution I came up
with is to modify the PortList::default_port_state Port object for
each call and return a pointer to it. This has a few caveats, which
I put in a comment in the function. Here's that section of the
patch:
The whole reason for the complex interface is because of the default
port states. You can see how the interface changed right before adding
the default port states in an old nmap-mem branch:
svn log -v -r 16281:16283 https://svn.nmap.org/nmap-exp/david/nmap-mem@16417

I think that I added the requirement that the caller provide storage
specifically because of the default state portno issue you mentioned.
The other alternative, the one you've done in your patch, is to modify
one static copy of a default Port object. I'm not crazy about that
because, for example, it makes it unsafe to try to have two different
Port references at once.
I do see this as the strongest argument against my method as it
stands. One thing I hadn't considered (and will have to try out) is
treating the Port::scriptResults member like the Port::service
member. As I understand it, it's a pointer to a dynamically
allocated data structure, so that as long as it is not allocated
(pointer is NULL), a copy can be made without issue. It brings us
back around to explicit memory management, though, since as I found,
freeing memory in a destructor means you can't make shallow copies
or you end up with double-frees.
Don't use a Port destructor; find another way to do what you're trying
to do. This nextPort change won't be merged, so please redo your
structured XML not to use it.

You might have more joy just using a lua_State and a Lua table to
represent the script output, rather than reconstructing an equivalent
structure (ScriptOutputNode).

David Fifield

This turned out to be easier than I thought. I've updated my git repo at https://github.com/bonsaiviking/Nmap/tree/xml-output if you want to see how it looks currently. As we continue to refine the requirements, I may look into the lua_State idea.

Dan