Nmap Development mailing list archives

James Rogers - Status Report #6 of 17

From: James Rogers <jamesmrogers () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 15:01:31 -0400

Hi all,

Accomplishments:
*Looked in depth at bugs in 2 clang areas.
    - Nping has most of the clang bugs, working on classifying bugs
and posting them to the dev-nmap list.
       - One area that needs work is loopret on a lot of places in a
function, but it is never used after it is set.
       - This must be old code that can probably be removed.  Will
post more detailed results Thursday.
    - Nmap has one area that needs cleaned up, posted to the nmap-dev list.
*Signed up on libpcap list to post libpcap bugs that clang found on that list.
    - libpcap dev list is very low volume, going to write a bug report
on Thursday and post it to their list to get work started in that
area.

* Ran clang against NTP, have not sent this report to ntp-dev list
yet.  (Worked on this because I felt guilty that I turned down their
project .)

Priorities:
* spurious port closing bug
   - read  rfc 793 and any others that deal with tcp transmission.
   - read tcp illustrated vol 1 and 2.
   - figure out how to set sequence numbers and change flags in nmap
for packets.
* clang bug report, organize and post proposed changes for each problem I find.
   - clang found 137 bugs, but not all of them are bugs, most of them
are serious
   - I have to go through and fix them by project.
       - Nmap proper only has a couple of issues, I posted an email to
nmap-dev last week and got no feedback.
              - Will bump for feedback.
       - Nping has a whole set of issues, so over the next few weeks I
will be identifying, classifying and posting proposed fixes to the
list.
       - We use many libraries, so to fix clang bugs I found in these
lower level lists I will have to work with those teams.

I have 4 finals in the next 2 days, studied a lot over the weekend.
Almost done moving to a new place.
My annual get together at Origins Gaming Convention was last weekend.