Nmap Development mailing list archives

James Rogers - Status Report #2 of 17

From: James Rogers <jamesmrogers () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 18:36:34 -0400

Hi, Everyone,

Weekly meeting with Fyodor went well.

Tasks reviewed at meeting:

Reviewed open port bug in detail.  Might have finally reproduced the
bug for myself.
Going to write a sample script to begin with to get an idea of the process.
Continuing learning code.
Work with Clang continues, try to get some output from scanning nmap
to show for next weeks meeting.

What I did this week:

Recommended a couple of code cleanups that seemed to be well received.

I spent a few hours Friday-Saturday getting a good handle on the code
base with some detailed analysis.  Several questions I had about how
nmap works have been answered.  I am sure I will have many more. :)

Writing up detailed documents of how nmap works, from a system level
as well as from a program level.  Will continue updating these
documents with more information as I learn it.   Learning a lot and
trying to capture what I am learning to make it easier for others to
learn nmap programming moving forward.

I put the code into Linux Cross Reference for myself to make it easy
to browse the code base.  It is very nice when I can jump from a
function in one file to a function in another file with a couple of
clicks.

Thanks,
James