Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: doubts

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 18:42:03 -0700

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 01:14:18AM +0530, Kamal Banga wrote:
The main functionality of nmap is sending various packets to some host and
analysing their responses to determine states of various ports. So, in what
way is this affected by some proxy server, whether http or socks? I can
scan various hosts, being within proxy server. Would someone please
elaborate...

Currently Nmap is not able to scan through proxy servers, except for FTP
bounce scan and idle scan that can be thought of as types of proxies.

http://nmap.org/book/idlescan.html

My guess is that using SOCKS or HTTP proxies will limit us to connect
scans (-sT). Proxies don't provide the control over e.g. TCP flags that
is required for more advanced raw scans. I think it should be about
equal in capability to Nmap's --unprivileged mode.

David Fifield