Nmap Development mailing list archives

[bug] nexthost: failed to find route to XXX (directly connected, with --randomize-hosts)

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 14:05:52 -0500

List,

Ran into what I think is a bug related to hostgroups and the --randomize-hosts argument. Before I start speculating wildly, here's what's going on:

My subnet is XXX.XXX.64.0/21, my IP is XXX.XXX.69.208, and I want to scan XXX.XXX.0.0/16. I am also using the --exclude-file option to exclude about 6 /24 subnets, and using the --randomize-hosts argument. Host discovery goes well, but during the port scan, I get "nexthost: failed to find route to XXX.XXX.68.0", and the scan ends prematurely.

While investigating, I noticed that the target_needs_new_hostgroup function in targets.cc checks for "Different direct connectedness," but the same function in nmap.cc does not. Is this something that should be put there?

I did a small test trying to get --randomize-hosts to mix directly and not-directly connected addresses, but I couldn't get it to work, primarily because I'm on a NAT'ed /24, so I can't specify a single CIDR that contains both types of addresses.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Dan