Nmap Development mailing list archives

EXPERT IPv6 network scaning

From: niteesh kumar <niteesh3 () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 23:11:24 +0530

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 10:56 PM, niteesh kumar <niteesh3 () gmail com> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 12:38 AM, David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>wrote:

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 09:15:27PM +0530, niteesh kumar wrote:
Hi,
Hi, I'm Niteesh Kumar, from India. I'm an undergraduate in, Department
of
Computer Science and Engineering,Indian Institute of Technology
Guwahati ,
India. I'm really interesting about networking specially security of
protocols. Specially developing IDS/IPS and network monitoring systems,
network applications and learning new technologies. I really like to get
involve  with your projects. I want to focus on expert IPv6, I have
prior
experience of SoC With UMIT. M also working on developing IDS for LAN
based
attacks IPv6 as a research academic project.

Thanks Niteesh. It sounds as if you've got a lot of experience and I
hope you submit a proposal. Please let us know if you have questions
about what IPv6 jobs are needed. I think some interesting areas are
local multicast host discovery (finding hosts even on a /64 LAN), remote
host discovery (are there other probes like ICMPv4 timestamp request
that we can use for IPv6?), and testing NSE scripts to make them
IPv6-capable.

David Fifield

i m currently trying resolve IPs in network using MLD probes in IPv6
network (local network ) . m expecting results on efficiency and
correctness of this mechanism in a day or two.

Niteesh

today i checked using MLD probes and max time to response set to 0. all
machines (in my small test bed there were 2 machines with IP belonging to
same multicast group)  respond to specific multicast group MDL query also
similar behavior was observed for general query . I also observed that
sending Echo request to all node multicast address machine with linux
(ubuntu/fedora) do respond with echo reply. this can be used to scan ip`s
present in an IPv6  network. David i need your inputs to this, if you also
conducted some of similar experiments and got similar or different results

Niteesh