Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Zenmap - Still can't get any to run on latest Mac OS

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 11:08:12 -0800

On Thu, Mar 08, 2012 at 10:10:50PM -0800, Paul A Roberts wrote:
Hi,

I waited a while and am now trying the latest nmap-5.61TEST4.dmg on
Mac OS X 10.7.3 instead of the Stable release but it seems to have the
same issues with the Stable release.  Neither will run the Zenmap.
The command line runs fine.

Please make sure that you completely delete the old installation
(/Applications/Zenmap.app) and then try reinstalling. I have just tested
successfully on 10.7.3.

In both cases when you install nmap it asks for the 'root' password to
install but then when you run Zenmap it asks again claiming Zenmap
needs to make changes.  If you enter the password at that point the
Zenmap icon then vanishes.  It just loops like that... each time you
run Zenmap from the Apps it wants to make that change but then dies
again.

It's not actually "making changes" like it says. That's just the screen
that the OS shows whenever a program is asking for root permissions. We
can't change what it says. If you click Cancel instead of entering your
password, then Zenmap will run without root permissions.

David Fifield