Nmap Development mailing list archives

Engine selection from command line

From: Henri Doreau <henri.doreau () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 11:24:26 +0100

Hello,

please find attached a patch that adds a --nsock-engine parameter to
nmap, nping and ncat so that users can enforce use of a given nsock IO
engine from command line. This is useful when developing new engines
or for troubleshooting.

I haven't documented the new parameter, since I think that it's mostly
intended for developers and advanced users. I also don't provide any
way to get the list of available engines, for the same reasons (no
need to bloat the nsock API for this IMO).

This implementation adds a new function to the nsock API to set the
default engine, the one to use when calling nsp_new(). Not sure
whether this is the best approach. I first developed a patch (not
attached, but I can send it on request) that added a parameter to
nsp_new() instead.

Comments welcome.

Regards.

--