Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Some work for a beginner

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 09:12:56 -0800

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 06:57:37PM +0530, Alok Upadhyay wrote:
Thanks for that warm welcome David! But I have been scouring through
the source only to end up taking a lot of time understanding the
system altogether. Doesn't this project have any graphical tools like
UML diagrams, Architecture diagrams etc. which can greatly reduce the
getting-to-know-time, in my case particularly.

sv-tidy.py is a small program; it has nothing like that. Just start from
the main loop and work your way in.

Nmap itself takes a lot of effort to understand. You should read:
        http://nmap.org/book/nmap-phases.html
Then I suggest starting with a nmap_main in nmap.cc and following the
function calls that look interesting. A program like ctags or cscope
will make it easier to follow cross-references.

If sv-tidy.py doesn't interest you, here's another easy project:
o [Zenmap] Combine parallel timed-out hops into one node in the
  topology view. http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2012/q1/82 has a patch,
  however it doesn't handle the case of two or more consecutive
  timeouts.
Read the mailing list threads for some context.

David Fifield