Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap's bundled libpcre and automake

From: Johannes Nixdorf <mixi () shadowice org>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 18:59:59 +0100

On Wednesday 08 February 2012 15:10:03 David Fifield wrote:
On Wed, Feb 08, 2012 at 01:33:34PM +0100, Johannes Nixdorf wrote:
Hi,

the way you modify the copy of libpcre you distribute is confuses
autoreconf into thinking automake can be run because configure.ac still
uses the AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE macro, which fails since you removed
Makefile.am from it.

I attached a patch fixing this by removing AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE from
libpcre's configure.ac

Best regards,

Johannes Nixdorf

I tried this patch, but then after "autoreconf", I get an error with
"make":

Makefile:15: *** missing separator.  Stop.

The patch seems to leave the SET_MAKE substitution undefined. Do you see
the same? What are your circumstances that you have to run autoreconf?

David Fifield

I have to admit that the reason I didn't notice the error was that the bundled
libpcre isn't actually built on my system as the build system uses the system
one.

The reason we have to run autoreconf is that we apply the patch from
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2012/q1/1 to the build system and since
autoreconf runs recursively it still fails even though we don't change
anything for libpcre.

Could I convince you to add the Makefile.am and its dependencies again or would
you recommend trying to work around the problem on our side by calling
autoconf instead of autoreconf only in the directory that's affected by the
patch?

Johannes Nixdorf