Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: nmap not working properly...showing ports as filtered, but ncat banner grab works

From: "Joseph McCray" <joe () strategicsec com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 16:32:51 -0500

Like I said, I think that I was unclear in my previous post. I don't think
nmap is broken, I believe that I have a misconfiguration somewhere.

I just attempted to build from svn.

Now I keep getting the following error:

route_dst_netlink: can't find interface "venet0"

Googling the error helped me find some people with similar proplems:

http://zitstif.no-ip.org/?p=581
http://old.nabble.com/Re%3A-ARP-scan-%28-%29-bug-in-Nmap-5.59BETA1-p32390886
.html

Most similar to my issue:
http://talk.maemo.org/archive/index.php/t-48673.html

A generic scan with no options will run as a regular user, but not as root.

# ./nmap --iflist

Starting Nmap 5.61TEST4 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2012-01-16 16:30 EST
INTERFACES: NONE FOUND(!)
ROUTES: NONE FOUND(!)
root@shrek:/toolz/nmap-source# su j0e

$ ./nmap --iflist

Starting Nmap 5.61TEST4 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2012-01-16 16:31 EST
INTERFACES: NONE FOUND(!)
ROUTES: NONE FOUND(!)

Joe McCray

Toll Free:             1-866-892-2132
Email:                 joe () strategicsec com
LinkedIn:              http://www.linkedin.com/in/joemccray
Twitter:               http://twitter.com/j0emccray
Slideshare:            http://www.slideshare.net/joemccray
GPG Key:               http://strategicsec.com/JoeStrategicSec_Public.key
Website:               http://strategicsec.com

When NASA began the launch of astronauts into space, they found out that
the pens wouldn't work at zero gravity (ink won't flow down to the
writing surface). To solve this problem, it took them one decade and $12
million. They developed a pen that worked at zero gravity, upside down,
underwater, in practically any surface including crystal and in a
temperature range from below freezing to over 300 degrees C.

And what did the Russians do...?? They used a pencil.