Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: OS X Lion incorrectly being reported as Windows

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 15:22:54 -0700

On Fri, Oct 07, 2011 at 02:41:05PM -0700, David Fifield wrote:
On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 11:10:08PM +0200, Patrik Karlsson wrote:

On Jul 28, 2011, at 8:24 PM, Matt Selsky wrote:

On Jul 21, 2011, at 12:10 PM, Patrik Karlsson wrote:

Scanning Mac OS X Lion with nmap results in it being reported as Windows.
The match line responsible for this is:
match kerberos-sec m/^\0\0\0\0$/ p/Microsoft Windows kerberos-sec/ o/Windows/

Maybe it's time to create a dedicated kerberos probe?

We have "Probe UDP Kerberos".  What KDC software does Lion run?  Heimdal, MIT, or something else?  We have
matches for both Heimdal and MIT for that probe.

Cheers,
Matt

I should have been clearer, I was thinking of a TCP probe. I'm attaching a patch that adds a TCP probe.
The probe is essentially the same as the UDP except for a 4 byte block in the beginning of the probe containing the
length.
The matches are the same to, except for the Windows 2003 one for some reason.
I've been able to verify both MIT v1.3-1.8 and Heimdal matches and they work well.
The MIT v1.2 could probably be added by simply figuring out the length of the reply and prepending it to the match
(I was to lazy to do so).

In order to avoid the crazy match above, resulting in Lion being detected as Windows, the patch also removes the
mentioned 4 byte match from the SMBProgNeg probe.
If someone has the possibility to test this out, please do and let me know how it works.

I added your new probe and matches. Thanks.

Oh, except I changed the probe lengths to ranges; the replies have one
field that can be 1, 2, or 3 bytes long, and this affects other length
bytes in other parts of the packet.

The variable-length field is a count of microseconds, so it's 3 bytes
93.45% of the time, 2 bytes 6.53%, and 1 byte 0.02%.

David Fifield