Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Patches for a log_output bugfix, and a --no-clobber implementation

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 21:58:50 -0700

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 01:33:48AM +0200, Dominic White wrote:
Thanks for the helpful feedback David, you made a first time post
easy. Some questions, if you wouldn't mind inline.

On 14 Sep 2011, at 6:38 PM, David Fifield wrote:
On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 02:00:05PM +0200, Dominic White wrote:
I'd like to submit 2 patches for consideration by the nmap dev team.
The first fixes what appears to be a minor bug in the log_open
function in output.{h|cc} where the append parameter is passed but
never used, rather the append switch is read from the options global.

This was already fixed in r23967.

I'm confused as to why the fix would still pass append as a parameter,
when the option is available in the NmapOps o structure under
o.append_output. Is this an nmap or "right" way of doing things? It
seems other NmapOps are read this way in output.cc.

In this case it doesn't matter. Generally I prefer to limit the use of
global data in low-level functions, especially when it is so easy as in
this case. It also seemed better to match the original author's intent.

David Fifield