Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap parsing script

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 13:57:02 -0700

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 12:39:25AM -0400, natalie wrote:
I am a big fan of nmap and have longed to give something back. I needed a
script to parse the nmap output last week and couldn't find one. So I wrote
one, nmapparse.bat for Windows as a batch script.

I send it in the hope that others might find it useful. It took me 40 hours
in three days, with help from Rob Van der Woulde to solve a parsing
execution bug. :)

Wow, I didn't think anyone would write a parser as a batch script! I
don't know enough about Windows commands to really understand what's
going on. Can you share a sample of what the output looks like? It
appears that you are searching for a few specific ports (22, 445, 2967)
in nmapparse.txt.

This could be a nice solution for people on Windows, where it is
sometimes difficult to get Perl or Python with an XML parser installed.

I don't know if it will help you using Windows commands, but have you
tried writing the parser for grepable (-oM) output? That format is
designed to be easy to process with text tools.

David Fifield