Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [RFC] Vulnerability library proposal

From: Christian Heinrich <christian.heinrich () cmlh id au>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 08:27:31 +1000

Rob,

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 1:29 AM, Rob Nicholls <robert () robnicholls co uk> wrote:
I would prefer that Nmap doesn't compete with OSVDB (or other databases),
but my concern with including or allowing people to use a third party
database such as OSVDB is that this could lead to licence issues (unless we
can agree an alternative license).

OSVDB probably isn't too bad compared to other databases, but at a glance I
believe we'd have to retain the license agreement with the database (if we
distribute it), notify them if we plan on integrating their database with
Nmap (e.g. Nmap or an NSE script makes use of either a local or external
copy of the data) and we would need to credit them in reports (all output
formats?) and Nmap's execution (e.g. help) unless we negotiate an
alternative license. Given that other tools often rely on Nmap's output,
it's possible we might cause license issues for them (as the free license is
non-transferable).

I can't find a specific URL which addresses licensing but I did find
http://osvdb.org/faq#osvdb4sale and http://osvdb.org/integrators

--
Regards,
Christian Heinrich