Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: jsonrpc library and bitcoinrpc-info

From: Toni Ruottu <toni.ruottu () iki fi>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 17:38:40 +0300

Wait. What exactly did you commit? I can not see anything bitcoin or
jsonrpc related in the svn. Something creds related?

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 3:06 PM, Patrik Karlsson <patrik () cqure net> wrote:

On Jul 26, 2011, at 11:46 PM, Fyodor wrote:

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 08:44:04AM +0200, Patrik Karlsson wrote:

o Regarding "@args creds.global", won't NSEDoc already catch and print
that since the script is requiring the creds library?  I don't know if
mentioning it explicitly will cause any problems.

This one is not as straight forward. While the creds library offers
this functionality and processes the argument, few or no script make
use of it.  So while including the library will populate a table
with the credentials, it's up to the script to make use of them.
The script could be using the cred library for other functionality,
such as the standardized output of discovered credentials (the brute
scripts).  I don't know the best way to handle this, but wouldn't it
make sense to document the argument in those scripts that use it
instead of the library?

Thanks for the clarification.  I guess I assumed that the arguments
were already documented in @args in creds.lua and so they would
already be on the bitcoinrpc-info page anyway.

If the creds library documented its @args, then they the list of them
would be automatically included for the creds-using scripts.  But I
can see how it might cause some confusion that some of the args
wouldn't be useful for a given script.  It is a tough call.

But if creds is not going to document official @args, it is probably
worth including a list of them in the creds library description text
so that users (both script developers using the library and end-users)
know what the arguments are and what they do.  Script developers need
to know that they are in charge of putting the useful ones into their
own @args too.

Cheers,
Fyodor

I've made an attempt to document this and committed it as r25348.

//Patrik
--
Patrik Karlsson
http://www.cqure.net