Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] mac-geolocation : BSSID (MAC) address based geolocation of WiFi access points

From: Gorjan Petrovski <mogi57 () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 13:15:41 +0200

Hi Tony,
On May 22, 2011 12:21 PM, "Toni Ruottu" <toni.ruottu () iki fi> wrote:

This is cool! Would it be possible to give the output in a format that
you could copy/paste to google maps search field. I think that would
be better than providing a link, because it could work with other
services as well.

Thanks! I was thinking of outputting it like: <latitude>,<longitude> and
adding a GMaps link too. That format should work for most services. I'm not
sure if I should output the address info though.

Is it possible to resolve the network card manufacturer, and add it in
parenthesis after the MAC. E.g. "00:22:6B:74:9B:1D (Cisco-Linksys)".

Yes offcourse, and it shouldn't be a problem as we already have scripts
which do that kind of lookup. Thats a great idea!

Is it possible to just trigger this for every host, rather than take
MAC as an argument. The script would be much more valuable if we could
run it automatically.

The script runs whenever any of these three things happen: the host.mac_addr
has a value, the nmap.registry.mac_geolocation.mac_list has a list of
strings, or the macs argument is supplied. If you have an additional idea of
when to run the script I'd love to implement it.

Should I shorten the output, or add a Google Maps link?
The output currently looks like this:
| mac-geolocation:
|   00:24:B2:1E:24:FE
|     Google