Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [Ncat] Question: What DLLs are required to run ncat on Windows?

From: Gisle Vanem <gvanem () broadpark no>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 00:10:56 +0200

"Daniel Miller" <bonsaiviking () gmail com> wrote:

I know there may be better solutions for this (metasploit's msfpayload -E,
for instance), but maybe the answers can help improve Ncat. Scenario is
this: As a pentester, I can upload and execute arbitrary files. I want to
get an interactive shell, maybe create a relay to expand my attack to an
internal network. If I choose to upload Ncat, what DLLs will it require on
the target system? Especially, what is unlikely to be there already?

This is the dependency tree of ncat.exe (cygcheck is part of CygWin. Similar
to the more known 'depends' program):

G:\MingW32\src\inet\nmap>cygcheck ./ncat.exe
G:\MingW32\src\inet\nmap\ncat.exe
 f:\windows\system32\LIBEAY32.dll
   f:\windows\system32\ADVAPI32.DLL
     f:\windows\system32\KERNEL32.dll
       f:\windows\system32\ntdll.dll
     f:\windows\system32\RPCRT4.dll
       f:\windows\system32\Secur32.dll
   f:\windows\system32\GDI32.dll
     f:\windows\system32\USER32.dll
   f:\windows\system32\msvcrt.dll
   f:\windows\system32\WS2_32.DLL
     f:\windows\system32\WS2HELP.dll
 f:\windows\system32\SSLEAY32.dll
 f:\windows\system32\wpcap.dll
   f:\windows\system32\packet.dll
     f:\windows\system32\VERSION.dll
     f:\windows\system32\NPPTools.dll
       f:\windows\system32\MFC42u.DLL
       f:\windows\system32\ole32.dll
       f:\windows\system32\OLEAUT32.dll
     f:\windows\system32\iphlpapi.dll

(mind the indenting). LIBEAY32.dll and SSLEAY32.dll are from OpenSSL.
wpcap.dll and packet.dll come from WinPcap. The rest of the DLLs should
be part of any standard Windows installation. I'm running Win-XP SP3.

Is there a way to build it "statically linked" to avoid DLL issues?

Sure, but then you need to hack the makefiles yourself and replace the
needed import libs with the static counterparts.

Gisle V.

# rm -v /bin/laden /bin/laden: removed /bin/laden