Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: --top-ports for X TCP ports and Y UDP ports in the same command

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 01:25:59 -0700

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 11:03:50AM -0500, Daniel Miller wrote:

For nmap-dev: Twice in a month? Maybe we should add this functionality. IF
this were to be added as a feature, I think a syntax similar to -p would be
helpful:

# nmap -sS -sU --top-ports T:1000,U:200

for scanning top 1000 TCP and top 200 UDP ports. Skipping the T: or U: would
give the same behavior as currently. I'm not sure how hard that would be to
implement, though.

If someone implements such a feature and sends a patch, we will
definitely consider it.  I like the simplicity of the syntax above,
though a down side is that it doesn't allow users to add or remove
ports from the top X.  I posted some other syntax ideas (I'm not
saying they are any better) at
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2011/q2/358.

Cheers,
Fyodor