Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: quake3 opportunistic portrule

From: Toni Ruottu <toni.ruottu () iki fi>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 17:01:31 +0300

I thought the probe would still be useful for people who compile nmap
without scripting support. Do we need to worry about such users?

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 12:59 AM, David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com> wrote:
On Sat, Apr 09, 2011 at 01:48:11AM +0300, Toni Ruottu wrote:
I am reopening this old topic. We added a probe for detecting
quake3-master servers. We decided we should not add another probe for
detecting Dpmaster as it is just a specific implementation. I am
thinking of writing a dpmaster-version script that would run against
quake3-master servers, and check whether that server is Dpmaster or
not. Does this make sense? With the script we do not need to add
probes that get sent against all targets. Instead we can only run
version detection against ports that have already been identified as
quake3-master.

I appreciate what you're saying, but I'd like to take it in a different
direction. How about deleting the Quake3_master_getservers version probe
and replacing it with quake3-master-version.nse instead? I don't want a
dpmaster-version.nse script. The principle should be generality: one
probe (or script) to distinguish a variety of servers, not a separate
test for each one.

If the portrule for the version script is as strict as the current list
of ports for Quake3_master_getservers, it's not a big problem.

David Fifield