Nmap Development mailing list archives

Feature Suggestion - Recording interface details in output

From: Joe <joe41m () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:44:23 +0100

Nmap-dev,

Firtly TIA for reading this and feel free to tell me if this is a daft
suggestion, I won’t take offence

I’d like to suggest adding an optional switch to nmap so that it
records the current interface details in the output.

Reason:
Clients often request network segregation testing to ensure certain
portions of their network are truly separate. The results of these
scans are often negative, e.g. all ports are filtered. When conducting
lots of these tests on heavily segregated networks the IP, subnet,
gateway used are key. It would be useful for nmap to record this
information so the auditor/accreditor has assurance that:

a)      The consultant used the correct details
b)      The consultant was given the correct details

This is especially true when reviewing historic audits. For example
during a retest if ports are unexpectedly found to be open having the
previous nmap output, with interface details, would be very helpful.

Caveats:
I do accept there are other ways to do this type of testing, firewall
reviews etc.

Proposed Change:
One solution would be to add an optional switch so the following
information is recorded in the nmap output:

* Current IP address
* Subnet Mask
* Default Gateway
* DNS Server – I’ve never had a DNS server when doing segregation
testing but perhaps there is a use for recording this?

Thanks,
Joe