Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [Pauldotcom] NMAP Discrepancies

From: Shinnok <admin () shinnok com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 16:59:57 +0300

Hi Michael,

I've managed to take a look at the service discrepancies issue you
experienced. I made a similar Windows setup just as yours in VMware and
tested ms-rdp 3389 and I can't reproduce your behavior.

The strange thing in your case is that Nmap should at least print
"ms-term-serv" instead of "microsoft-rdp" if the "Microsoft Terminal
Service" doesn't get identified by -sV, in the SERVICE column of the output.

I'm going to need some more info from you in order to proceed with
further investigation:

I need the exact Nmap line that you use to scan and confirmation that
you don't change that between scans.

I will also ask you, if you can, to try and catch a scan that does print
the wrong services or nothing at all with this nmap invocation:

nmap -p3389 -PN -sV -vvvv -dddd --version-trace *your-host*

And please attach the output to a reply e-mail. That output will at
least show us if indeed it is a timeout issue or something else.

If you happen to stumble across a reproducible case in the process,
please send details of that too.

Thanks a bunch,
Shinnok