Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [RFC] Improve NSE HTTP architecture.

From: Djalal Harouni <tixxdz () opendz org>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 09:47:31 +0100

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 06:02:02PM -0500, Ron wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 08:06:30 +0200 Patrik Karlsson <patrik () cqure net> wrote:
1. In my experience it's kind of difficult to write a good
spider/crawler. Today it's a lot more complex than using regexp to
discover all <a href tags or stuff that looks like an url due to
javascript, flash, silverlight, etc ... That said, I think a decent
spider/crawler could still be written for NSE. What I also think
could be a good idea is to allow the user to "import" a file
containing the URLs to process. This way you could manually cover
most parts of a site using a local proxy, extract the urls and feed
them to NSE.
Something else to keep in mind - http-fingerprints.nse can seed http-spider.nse. So in addition to the URLs to
process, we can use a whole pile of known URLs.

Djalal - Great work on this writeup! I replied to a thread about this from Patrik yesterday, but it seems like you
were wayyy ahead of me. In nmap-exp/ron, I have a mostly working (but not really tested) http-spider.nse script. If
you're planning on working on a spider, that might be a decent starting point (or not.. :) )
I'll check that thread.

I didn't go deep in the study of the spider, since it will be Paulino's
job, and he already has a proposal draft in his nmap-exp/ branch.

And yes we must check your http-spider script, it really can be a good
starting point. Our proposal is based on your http-enum and
http-fingerprints work, and also Patrik's work.

Just to let you know that currently I'm not working on implementing
the proposal ideas, feel free to experiment them.

Thanks Ron.

--
tixxdz
http://opendz.org