Nmap Development mailing list archives

ncat and websocket

From: Toni Ruottu <toni.ruottu () iki fi>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 19:10:43 +0300

  hello

Every now and then I start thinking that adding WebSocket support to
ncat is a good idea. WebSocket is message based, so from user's
perspective it should probably behave similarly to udp. After thinking
about it for some time I eventually remember that WebSocket has
multiple different frame types, and thus it may not be well suited for
ncat. At least it has separate frame types for binary data and utf-8.
If you just write "lol" on the screen and hit enter, ncat does not
know which frame type you are trying to send. We could start each line
with a frame type identifier, but I am not sure that is a good idea.
We could of course do support for services that only use one frame
type by picking the frame type with a command line parameter.

  --Toni