Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: regarding rpc based protocols and rpcinfo script

From: Toni Ruottu <toni.ruottu () iki fi>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 14:11:03 +0200

I almost wrote my own rpcinfo because I could not imagine that it
might not be in the default category. I think every script that is not
enabled by default should have a comment which explains why. Maybe we
could form a convention while there are not yet thousands of scripts.
When the explanation is explicit it is falsifiable and can be
reconsidered later.

We could have exceptions for cases where the script belongs to version
category or intrusive category. Writing a comment "non-default reason:
intrusive" might be useful in cases where the script is later moved
out from intrusive category, and someone forgets to add it to default.

At the moment there are two intrusive scripts that are run by default.
Is this an error? I though a script could only belong to one. Also, I
think we agreed earlier that netbus-auth-bypass should be in default,
but it is not.