Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nse crypto

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 12:25:51 -0800

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 02:29:39AM +0200, Toni Ruottu wrote:
I got the script written using openssl. In the end the crypto was
surprisingly manageable, compared to dealing with IPv6 addresses. :-)

I have attached the script to this email. I am running an instance of
nping echo server with password 12345 at 174.129.239.201 Feel free to
test the script against it by commanding

nmap 174.129.239.201 -p 9929 --script=nping-brute

Trying out passwords is somewhat slow, so testing with really easy
ones may be a good idea. Add -d -d to the command line to see
progress.

I tried it. It found the correct password after three guesses in 6
seconds. It seems to do about 1 guess per second on another server.

I think the way to speed it up is to use the brute.lua library. See
Patrik Karlsson's brute scripts for examples of using it.

David Fifield