Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] dns-brute - DNS brute-forcer

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 13:38:47 -0800

On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 10:30:41AM -0800, David Fifield wrote:
On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 07:30:19PM +0200, cirrus wrote:
Hello list,

I've started developing a DNS brute-force script.
I'm attaching the script (also git accessible from: git://
code.0x0lab.org/nmap-dns-brute.git), please feel free to comment (It's my
first attempt at nse and lua, so please do point out any
issues/mistakes/etc.).
The script has been developed/tested with the current svn version.

-- @output
-- Pre-scan script results:
-- | dns-brute:
-- | Result:
-- |   DNS Brute-force hostnames:
-- |   www.foo.com - 127.0.0.1
-- |   mail.foo.com - 127.0.0.2
-- |   blog.foo.com - 127.0.1.3
-- |   ns1.foo.com - 127.0.0.4
-- |   admin.foo.com - 127.0.0.5
-- |   Reverse DNS hostnames:
-- |   srv-32.foo.com - 127.0.0.16
-- |   srv-33.foo.com - 127.0.1.23
-- |   C-Classes:
-- |   127.0.0.0/24
-- |_  127.0.1.0/24

Thanks. This scritp looks like a good idea and I've made a note in our
TODO to evaluate it.

Nice job! I reworked parts of this script and committed it. You can see
the changes I made with
        svn log -r 22446:22460

The biggest change was the removal of reverse name resolution for class
C networks. It seemed out of place in the script and it will probably
faster to use Nmap's existing reverse resolver with -sL. Also the choice
of class C seemed arbitrary to me.

David Fifield