Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nping 0.5.50 "Cannot determine Next Hop MAC address" on Windows XP with WAN (PPP/SLIP) through a Nokia E75 phone

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 01:58:40 -0800

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 05:18:16AM +0100, Martin Leben wrote:
Hello!

I am running Nping 0.5.50 on Windows XP connected through a USB
connection to a Nokia E75 phone, but get the error message
"fillPacket(): Cannot determine Next Hop MAC address.". When
connecting using WLAN this works. See details below. Am I missing
something?

C:\>nping --echo-client "public" echo.nmap.org

Starting Nping 0.5.50 ( http://nmap.org/nping ) at 2011-01-30 04:38
W. Europe Standard Time
fillPacket(): Cannot determine Next Hop MAC address.

I think that doing raw scans (like the ICMP scan that echo mode is doing
by default) is not possible on other than Ethernet devices on Windows.
This is a limitation of Windows and not of Nmap or Nping per se. You may
still be able to use Nping using normal socket operations like
--tcp-connect, though I'm not sure that it will work in echo mode.

David Fifield