Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NSE console script help

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 00:50:37 -0800

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 08:49:34PM +0100, Martin Holst Swende wrote:

Reposting this which I posted earlier ([1], [2]), perhaps with a bad
subject-line, since there was no response.

Thanks for reposting.  I agree with others that this could be a
worthwhile feature.  I think using --script-args to implement this
works great as a proof-of-concept, but I agree with David that it
probably isn't perfect as a final implementation.  Maybe there could
be a new option like --script-help which takes a script specifier
(i.e. a script name or category or expression--the same arguments as
--script itself takes).  Then it could print help information for all
the matching scripts.  Ideally, I think Nmap should do no actual
scanning when executed this way (e.g. "nmap --script-help default").

I also agree that it might be nice for Zenmap to use this standard
script-help mechanism.  Maybe it could print the information in XML or
something to the -oX stream.

It would probably be good to separate the "--script-args force" part
into a separate patch, since that is a completely different feature.

I tried to read your new nse_main.lua from the Seclists archive at
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2010/q4/att-567/nse_main_lua.bin.  But I
was a bit annoyed that Firefox only lets me download the Lua file
rather than offering the choice of viewing it as text in the browser
window.  It turns out that there has been a firefox "bug" (enhancement
request) for this feature for more than 10 years, but it hasn't been
implemented yet.  The good news is that I found a plugin which let's
you choose to view unhandled MIME types as text or HTML or an image or
basically whatever you want.  It seems to be working well for me so
far:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/open-in-browser/

Regarding the Script help output, I suppose it might be best to
comma-separate the categories and list them on one line so instead of
three lines you have:

Categories: default, safe

Also, regarding these two lines:

    http-methods.nse

I'll bet you could combine them.  Maybe something like:

  NSE: ------ Script Help: http-methods.nse ------

Cheers,
Fyodor