Nmap Development mailing list archives

Please Help Nmap Error (Forward From Fyodor)

From: black warrior <cateatmousedead () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 04:21:22 -0800

Hello. my name is MeE i have a problem using Nmap. i cant found my
answer on google so i decide send email. fyodor told me to report to
this mail. I cant use Nmap on
my notebook cause my network card is atheros that not support sniffing
mode (promisc mode), so when i try scan any IP i get an error like
this :

Starting Nmap 5.51 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2011-03-26 19:25 Pacific Standard Time

NSE: Loaded 57 scripts for scanning.

Initiating Ping Scan at 19:25

Scanning 118.xx.xx.xxx [4 ports]

WARNING: Using raw sockets because ppp0 is not an ethernet device.
This probably won't work on Windows.

pcap_open_live(ppp0, 100, 0, 2) FAILED. Reported error: Error opening
adapter: The system cannot find the device specified. (20).  Will wait
5 seconds then retry.

pcap_open_live(ppp0, 100, 0, 2) FAILED. Reported error: Error opening
adapter: The system cannot find the device specified. (20).  Will wait
25 seconds then retry.

Call to pcap_open_live() failed three times. There are several
possible reasons for this, depending on your operating system:

LINUX: If you are getting Socket type not supported, try modprobe
af_packet or recompile your kernel with PACKET enabled.

 *BSD:  If you are getting device not configured, you need to
recompile your kernel with Berkeley Packet Filter support.  If you are
getting No such file or directory, try creating the device (eg cd
/dev; MAKEDEV <device>; or use mknod).

*WINDOWS:  Nmap only supports ethernet interfaces on Windows for most
operations because Microsoft disabled raw sockets as of Windows XP
SP2.  Depending on the reason for this error, it is possible that the
--unprivileged command-line argument will help.

SOLARIS:  If you are trying to scan localhost or the address of an
interface and are getting '/dev/lo0: No such file or directory' or
'lo0: No DLPI device found', complain to Sun.  I don't think Solaris
can support advanced localhost scans.  You can probably use "-Pn -sT
localhost" though.

QUITTING!

I use zenmap on windows OS.
Can you help me fix this problem ???
I will very thanks if you want to help my problem. anyway this is my
first time using nmap and i read from many articles that nmap is the
best tools for network security and scnning :)

Regards,
~MeE