Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [GSOC] ncat gui idea

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 15:44:29 -0700

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 01:45:33PM +0300, Shinnok wrote:
I would like to probe my idea for this GSOC iteration
for nmap against the nmap-dev list. What I am thinking
about is a GUI for Ncat, written in native C++ code
and Qt.

It doesn't interface with ncat currently, though it's enough for
a gui idea poc. The interfacing with netcat i'm planning to do it via
UNIX pipes, either manually using dupes or libc popen() on *NIX,
and _popen() on Windows *.*. Another choice for interfacing agains
ncat would be to link against ncat's object files, though this effort
would be more valuable in the case of Nmap(see bellow).

Hello Shinnok. Thanks for writing and for explaining your ideas in
detail.

Will the GUI support some advanced uses that use features of the shell?
To me, one of the best features of Netcat is that it behaves well as a
shell program. For example, "Chain Ncats Together" from
http://nmap.org/ncat/guide/ncat-tricks.html, and "Transfer a disk image
with compression" from
http://nmap.org/ncat/guide/ncat-file-transfer.html.

Another reason that i am sending this e-mail is to probe the nmap's
team and community need for a new GUI for nmap. The ideas pointed
in this e-mail for Ncat were originally devised by me for a brand new
interface for Nmap that I would want and need. While I do realize
that Yet Another Gui(YAG) for Nmap would create fragmentation, it's the
kind of fragmentation that keeps open source *secure* and diverse.
Thus, what do you think about the same ideas written above, but applied
for Nmap(add the mobile and embedded advantages of Qt on top)?

A Summer of Code project to make a new GUI is very unlikely. I think
people underestimate the amount of effort that goes into it.

David Fifield