Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Showing local functions in NSEDoc

From: Kris Katterjohn <katterjohn () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 12:13:06 -0500

On 10/15/2010 09:52 AM, Ron wrote:
On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 23:12:59 -0400 Patrick Donnelly <batrick () batbytes com> wrote:
The local functions might be later exposed in another way so I don't
think we should stop NSEDoc from handling local functions. Instead,
author's should not turn on NSEDoc (---) when documenting private
functions. (They can still use the NSEDoc syntax for consistency I
guess.)

My thought is this. I want to write a script that uses the DNS library. So I open up the NSEDoc for DNS and get this:
http://nmap.org/nsedoc/lib/dns.html

There are over 30 functions defined there, most of which are completely irrelevant to somebody who just wants to use
the DNS library. Same deal with dhcp:
http://nmap.org/nsedoc/lib/dhcp.html

There are over 12 functions defined there, but only one that people actually can (and should) use.

If NSEDoc is supposed to help people write scripts, including local functions in it is, in my opinion, making things
more difficult.

I agree here, but if simply not using "---" prevents the NSEDoc from
being generated (which was my understanding and also Patrick mentions
this above) then I think that's a good enough solution (since this is
NSEDoc syntax).

I don't think NSEDoc system should behave this way: "the author writes
in NSEDoc format, but I should ignore what appears to be the author's
wishes if the function is defined as local" because viewed this way it
seems like the author is conflicted.

Of course, if NSEDoc blatantly ignored the author or if it was always
generating docs for local functions without the NSEDoc "---" syntax then
I would be all for changing NSEDoc (but this isn't the case AFAIK).

Ron

Cheers,
Kris Katterjohn