Nmap Development mailing list archives

nmap xml log file users/programs ????

From: dave b <db.pub.mail () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 14:29:23 +1100

So like nmap can produce an xml log file output, compliant to
http://nmap.org/svn/docs/nmap.dtd .
However, I haven't really seen any 'convert nmap output to a database'
type programs (stand alone).
In addition, I haven't seen any (*CLI* - I don't want a gui :P) 'oh
lets show the output of that nmap xml log'.
I know there are some perl modules that do this but I am not a fan of perl.
So I started looking at writing my own simple parser(written in
python) that doesn't do much [0].
However, what seems 'broken' to me is the script output and elements.
You have something like this:
"<script id="ntp-monlist" output=" &#xa;  Tar...."(more output).
IMHO the output of a script should have the target information
separated out from the 'output' of the script.
Furthermore, some standard nodes for (xml) script output would be a
'nice to have'.

So really how many people are actually using the nmap xml file output
at all? -- and if so how!

[0] - https://github.com/d1b/python-nmap-xml-output-parser

--
The smallest worm will turn being trodden on.           -- William Shakespeare,
"Henry VI"