Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Modules for vim/emacs

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 00:12:19 -0700

On Tue, Nov 02, 2010 at 08:29:00PM -0500, Ron wrote:

Specifically:
- -- -*- mode: lua -*-
- -- vim: set filetype=lua :
- -- The preceding lines should be left intact to help vim/emacs do syntax
- -- highlighting

Basically, they tell vim/emacs that it's a lus file, despite the
extension being .nse. The first thing I do when I start working on NSE
on a new box is update my vim syntax file appropriately, but I'm
guessing that not everybody knows how to do that so having a hint to
the editor that it's a lua file could be handy.

My point is, I think this should be added to the top of every
script. Unfortunately, the emacs one (the first one) *has* to be the
first line in the file. The vim one can go at the bottom or middle or
whatever, it doesn't matter where it goes.

Opinions?

You make some good points, and I agree that Lua mode can make editing
NSE scripts easier in some editors.  But I'm not sure it is worth
adding those four lines to the top of hundreds of files.  Especially
since users of other editors might then want to add their own codes as
well.  I think I favor this aproach:

1) We should definitely document the procedure for registering NSE to
   Lua in common editors.  David already posted a recommended .vimrc
   line.  Now can someone post their preferred mechanism for emacs or
   other editors?  We can then add the instructions to scripting.xml.

2) Emacs and Vim are fellow open source projects--maybe they would
   register .nse to Lua by default?  They don't seem to be registering
   the extension to anything at the moment (at least in my default
   Fedora 14 install), and I don't know of any competing uses for
   ".nse".  Do we have any volunteers to file a bug report/feature
   request or otherwise communicate this idea to the folks behind your
   favorite editor?  If you file a report, you can post the URL here
   so that we can add comments and second the request.  I think it
   would be great for the premier editors to support NSE out of the
   box!  And we're only talking about a one-line configuration change
   here.

Cheers,
Fyodor