Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] accton.nse: OSVDB 67963, Accton products Super User Password Generation Algorithm Weakness

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 22:53:39 -0700

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 01:24:01PM +0200, Gutek wrote:
This script aims a one-year unpatched vulnerability hidded in many
Accton-embedded products, as described by Edwin Eefting, Erik Smit and
Erwin Drent @HAR2009.

Many switches manufacturers embed Accton products (3Com, Dell, SMC,
Foundry, EdgeCore and maybe others).
In august 2009 at the HAR2009 Edwin Eefting, Erik Smit and Erwin Drent
revealed that Accton
has left a management backdoor behind (telnet, SSH and HTTP).
Researchers have released a paper explaining their work:
http://www.vettebak.nl/hak/accton.pdf

While __super is the login, the password can be guessed (computed) from
the switches' MAC address.
This is what this script does. Be advised that it does not check if the
target is an Accton embedded
product, neither if the target is actually a vulnerable one: it's
non-intrusive.

I think this script would be much more useful if it could detect the
backdoor. Is there some pattern of open ports, some unique SSH
signature?

It would be nicer if the script could retrieve the target's MAC address
by itself but I didn't find such a function in the NSE libraries.
Please also note that I did not actually test this script against real
vulnerable targets: I don't have any at hand. Hence, this script was
tested against known vulnerable MAC addresses and its results were
compared with the publishers' ones.

To get a MAC address use host.mac_addr. That only works if Nmap knows it
of course.

http://nmap.org/book/nse-api.html#nse-api-arguments

David Fifield