Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] http-passwd: payloads update and new vector proposal

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 13:01:17 -0600

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 06:21:25PM +0200, Gutek wrote:
I've worked on http-passwd today and added some payloads against some
webservers (and also some comments to illustrate the specifics
payloads). That's for the maintenance.

Thanks, I committed these.

I've also added a new vector to reach the file disclosure condition
(etc/passwd or boot.ini), which highlights a directory traversal in this
script (it is used as a PoC against false-positives).
Until now, this script only use the classical GET
../..<something>/ect/passwd query.
This improvement proposal searches the root page for a variable which
calls a page or a file, i.e. technicaly speaking
"?|&VARIABLE=<something>DOT<something>", for example
"/index.php?page=next.php"

Then, it rolls again through the previously tested payloads, calling
them with the file variable found, itself attacked with a trailing
poison null byte (see http://hakipedia.com/index.php/Poison_Null_Byte
for details)

That is, after testing GET <payload>, it now also tests GET
/?<variable>=<payload>%00

I think this is pretty reasonable. I committed it too, with some style
changes. Would you add a script argument http-passwd.root that controls
where the query strings are searched for, instead of hardcoding "/"?

David Fifield