Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] Patch to get_args for deprecation

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 00:15:22 -0700

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 09:57:00PM -0500, Ron wrote:

But that's not really so important, and if it's easy to keep
supporting the old names then there's no real reason to deprecate
them.

The only real reason is to prevent confusion, really. But I'd have
no intention of ever removing the originals, they're documented as the
originals in too many places already.

I definitely agree with promoting just one canonical arg name to
prevent confusion.  But it doesn't really hurt anything (and sometimes
helps) to have aliases like this.  I think we really only need the
deprecation warning if we think it is likely we will remove/reuse the
option name in the future.  So unless people can think of cases which
really need the deprecation warning, we can probably just leave that
out.  If we find we really need it someday, we can add an approach
like the '!' prefix suggested in this thread.

Cheers,
-F