Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap for Android

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 15:52:07 -0600

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 11:38:53PM -1000, John Holden wrote:
Hello, some of you have seen the app I've thrown onto the Android
Market.  Should have introduced myself to nmap-dev long ago.

First off, several people have flamed me for asking money for Nmap on
the Android Market.  The source code is available to anyone and
everyone at http://wjholden.com/nmap/src/.  I ask for a small amount
of money to justify my time.

Thank you for writing, John. I'm sorry you got flamed. I looked at what
you were doing and it all seemed legit to me.

If anyone is interested I can think up some lessons learned and share
them.  Also, if there is any interest in an official Nmap client for
Android I'll contribute all I can.

That's great to hear! What you've done might serve as the basis for an
official app. You've already solved the problem of how to get an .apk
built. I still haven't tried the app yet, because I don't have an
Android phone or any kind of development environment for one.

I'm interested to know if anyone else on the list has run the app, and
if so, what their impressions are. I'd also welcome comments on the
source code. src/com/wjholden/nmap/Nmap.java seems to be the primary
file. The included nmap binary is the one that Vlatko built.

David Fifield