Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Problem while running nmap as root

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 12:20:16 -0600

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 06:30:33PM +0530, priyank garg wrote:
Hi David,
I am actually running it on a virtual machine. I dont see any other thing that
is away from normal. Do you think this is happening because of virtual machine?

It might have something to do with the virtual machine. What is the host
operating system? (Not the guest, you already said that was Red Hat
Enterprise Linux Server.)

Please send me the output of these commands.

sudo -v
sudo tcpdump -s0 -w scanme-nonroot.pcap &
nmap -n -Pn -d3 --top-ports 10 scanme.nmap.org &> scanme-nonroot.nmap
sudo kill $!
sudo tcpdump -s0 -w scanme-root.pcap &
sudo nmap -n -Pn -d3 --top-ports 10 scanme.nmap.org &> scanme-root.nmap
sudo kill $!

That is, send me the four files scanme-nonroot.pcap,
scanme-nonroot.nmap, scanme-root.pcap, and scanme-root.nmap.

David Fifield