Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] small improvement to ftp-anon

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 22:05:43 -0700

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 06:34:35PM -0600, David Fifield wrote:
On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 08:26:22AM +0200, Gutek wrote:

This looks pretty good and it works for me. I would like you to make
some changes, though. First, the file listing should be controlled by a
script argument, not verbosity() >= 2.

The problem with using verbosity is that you can't control one
instance independently.  So even if you just want more files listed,
using -v means you need to put up with a bunch of other extra
verbosity throughout Nmap.  But the problem with using script
arguments is that only a tiny percentage users will take the time to
learn about and set some ftp-anon-specific argument.  A "big lever"
like -v is far more likely to actually be used.

For these reasons, I sometimes think the ideal compromise is to make a
script argument, but vary the default value based on
verbosity/debugging level.  But admittedly that increases complexity.

Cheers,
Fyodor