Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NSEdoc?

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 01:01:40 -0700

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 11:44:22PM -0400, Marcus Haebler wrote:

I wrote my own script and would like to generate some HTML formatted
documentation for it from the embedded NSEdoc code.

Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find anything about NSEdoc anywhere
other than (http://nmap.org/book/nsedoc.html):

... "NSE uses a customized version of the LuaDoc documentation system
called NSEDoc." ...

Most likely I am not seeing the forest for the trees. Can someone
enlighten me? Where do I find the customized LuaDoc version?

Hi Marcus.  Some of those customizations involve things like inserting
the Insecure.Org chrome around the pages, dealing with the filesystem
paths on our web server, etc.  So we don't have a version for general
use because we don't want to deal with generalizing, maintaining, and
documenting it.  Maybe we'll make one available if there is enough
demand.  But really, the best way to get a script documented is to
contribute it to Nmap's NSE repository :).

For now, if you want to see what we're doing, you can find an older
verision of NSEDoc in r10485 of /nmap-exp/patrick/nsedoc in our SVN
tree.  Also, NSEDoc may be similar enough to Luadoc that you can use
the official Luadoc tools for it (I'm not sure).

Cheers,
-F