Nmap Development mailing list archives

[NSE] Script completion reporting?

From: Ron <ron () skullsecurity net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 19:41:26 -0500

Hey,

This is an idea that's pretty simple and that I've been thinking about for awhile.

Right now, the "estimated time to completion" on the script section isn't too good. My idea to improve it would be:
o Scripts can (optionally) call a function in nmap to tell it approximately how far they're done (ie, percentage)
o Scripts can (even more optionally) call a function in nmap indicating how much longer it'll take (or the total time
it'll take at the start) -- only useful in very select cases where a script knows exactly how long it'll take (fuzzers
come to mind)
o Nmap knows how long since the script started, and can make an educated guess based on that and the percent done how
much longer it'll take

Obviously most scripts wouldn't use this. It would be most useful for the longer scripts that have a fixed set of data
-- bruteforce, dns cache snoop, fuzz, etc -- because they tend to have a set finishing point.

Any thoughts?

--
Ron Bowes
http://www.skullsecurity.org