Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] Script Pre-scanning and Post-scanning example

From: Kris Katterjohn <katterjohn () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 13:53:24 -0500

Hi Kris,

On 2010-08-10 19:19:41 -0500, Kris Katterjohn wrote:
* The pre-scan output is not the usual snmp-interfaces output, but rather just
a line stating how many targets were successfully added.  The prerule
functionality for this script in this patch is to add targets and so I thought
the output should pertain solely to that.
Yes, if the user runs the script scan with --script-args "newtargets"
then he wants to add targets to Nmap, however if the script argument
"newtargets" is not present, and the other necessary script arguments that
will let the script to run in the pre-scanning (prerule) phase, then
perhaps the user wants simply to see the *output* of the script in the
pre-scanning phase.

OK, that makes sense.  I wasn't thinking about it the right way: I was more
just in a mode of "cool, we can script host discovery".  prerule + target
adding just seemed to be synonymous since I only glanced at commits and emails
but hadn't followed closely (too bad for me).

Notes in general:

* It started bothering me working on this patch that scripts could get quickly
cluttered with different branches for prerule, postrule, etc. when script
functionality may only be slightly related amongst phases.

A thought I had would be to check if a script offers functions named things
like postaction() and execute these hooks instead of action() in the post-scan
phase (for example)-- this way script authors have control on clutter and can
separate it with NSE easily obliging.  Scripts which don't have these hooks
are just called with action() like normal.

A counter-argument to this could be to just add more code to libraries and
have separate script to prerule and postrule if they are substantially
different enough to warrant things like postaction().  But the latter could
mean very specific things added to libraries which only these scripts would
use, which then just needlessly clutters libraries.

If all multiphase scripts are simple enough (it wouldn't make sense to use
postaction or something like that in my patch, for example) then this won't be
a problem, but some forethought may save future headaches.  Who knows, maybe
simply breaking up action() will always be best if the phases make it too messy.
The solution provided by Patrick is perfect. I want simply to add
something: I think that a script that can runs in both pre-scanning
phase (prerule) and script scanning one (hostrule and portrule) is a
greate feature and we can share the same code between these phases,
however the post-scanning phase is special one, it aims to be for results
and statistics gathering so it may collect other scripts results, and we
should use some standard name usage for them, like: snmp-stats.nse or
snmp-win32-stats.nse etc, in general these scripts will report any
results that were saved onto NSE registry. I'll try to post more examples
later.

Cool, I look forward to this (I'm having a hard time thinking of concrete
examples for postrules, although I haven't yet dug around in the registry to
see what all is all ready available).

* Djalal's work on these different phases seems to work well.  I've only
really tested with this patch (prerule), but I didn't have any problems.
Thx for testing and for these greate script ideas Kris.

Cheers,
Kris Katterjohn