Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Analysis of using CPE for Nmap OS signatures

From: "Jan-Oliver Wagner" <Jan-Oliver.Wagner () greenbone net>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 09:32:11 +0200

On Saturday 07 August 2010 08:02:18 David Fifield wrote:
Fyodor asked me to investigate what would be required to support Common
Platform Enumeration (CPE) in OS and version detection.

This would be a really helpful feature.
In OpenVAS we started CPE some time ago and can detect almost 800 CPEs.
But Nmap would be the natural place to do CPE.

However, we learned that CPE does not fulfil all of our needs, so it can not replace
any of the detection identifiers.

All the best

        Jan