Nmap Development mailing list archives

Problem while running nmap as root

From: priyank garg <gargpriyank () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 15:01:05 +0530

Hi All,
I am facing a strange problem while running nmap as root. If I run it as a
normal user, nmap works fine but when I run it as root, its unable to detect
any hosts.

This is the output while running nmap as normal user:

[priyank@server]$ *nmap 10.141.148.228*

Starting Nmap 5.35DC1 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2010-08-04 15:00 UTC
mass_dns: warning: Unable to determine any DNS servers. Reverse DNS is
disabled. Try using --system-dns or specify valid servers with --dns-servers
Nmap scan report for 10.141.148.228
Host is up (0.00038s latency).
Not shown: 998 closed ports
PORT    STATE SERVICE
22/tcp  open  ssh
111/tcp open  rpcbind

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 1.17 seconds

This is the output while running nmap as root:

[priyank@server]$ *sudo nmap 10.141.148.228*
Password:

Starting Nmap 5.35DC1 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2010-08-04 15:00 UTC
mass_dns: warning: Unable to determine any DNS servers. Reverse DNS is
disabled. Try using --system-dns or specify valid servers with --dns-servers
Note: Host seems down. If it is really up, but blocking our ping probes, try
-Pn
Nmap done: 1 IP address (0 hosts up) scanned in 0.28 seconds

Can anyone tell me the reason for this?

Thanks.
~Priyank