Nmap Development mailing list archives

a basic nmap usage question

From: suiqiangd () gmail com
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 21:26:01 +0000

hi,

I have a basic nmap usage question. not sure if this is the right place to ask. Please let me know if anyone know a better place for this.

I am using nmap as a TCP SYN packet generator to test out my firewall. It works well so far. However, one thing that I don't know how to control is that it generates 2 SYN for each destination port when SYN is not replied, ie when the first SYN is filtered, nmap sends another SYN to try again. The command I use is:

nmap -sS -PN -r -p500-504 32.1.1.6

How can I disable this retry and tell nmap to only send 1 SYN packet for each destination port? I looked through the man page but didn't find such knob.

Thanks,
Suiqiang