Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap IPv6 Bug Report

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 23:57:49 -0700

Hi Folks.  I don't have IPv6 set up at the moment, so I'm forwarding a
bug report along in the hope that someone can test and/or fix it.  You
can read the Debian bug threat here:

The key message is the last one on that page.  Mats Erik Andersson
(the reporter) says that Nmap fails when you do this bash shell
command:

RES_OPTIONS=inet6  nmap -v -p 22 ipv6.google.com

The failure is that you get the wrong IPv4 address because Nmap is
apparently failing to properly deal with the returned hostent
structure.  See the URL above for full details.

If anyone can try to reproduce and/or fix this and report back to
nmap-dev, that would be great!

Cheers,
Fyodor